Catford area guide
8 miles from central London, Catford is part of the borough of Lewisham; it’s a fast improving area. This is due to all the new properties being built in and around the Lewisham area. Catford's most prominent landmark is perhaps the Catford Cat, a giant fibreglass sculpture of a black cat positioned above the entrance to the Catford Centre. This small shopping centre is home to a number of well-known high street names and supermarkets and some independent shops.
A brief history about Catford
Catford is an ancient place name, which goes back in documents as far as the reign of Edward I, and is the name of an old manor dating back to the 13th century.
During its early years, Catford was mostly a scattered hamlet, wooded and waterlogged with some farming. Much of the parish would have been liable to inundation from the River Ravensbourne whenever there were heavy rains. At Catford was one of the many mills on the Ravensbourne, probably one of the eleven recorded in Domesday, and known in the 13th and 14th centuries as Fordmill. It stood on the western side of the river, on the left hand side of the road going towards Catford Hill.
It may also owe its name to a ford over the River Ravensbourne, and some sources say there were wild cats around the area. Catford as the name of a particular suburban district crossed by the South Circular Road is of more recent origin. It may date no earlier than the building in 1875 of the offices of the Lewisham Board of Works (which in 1900 became the Town Hall), or from the building of the original parish church of Catford in 1887.
The Catford shopping centre was built by Owen Luder in 1974, incorporating the Catford Mews and Milford Tower housing estate. A large black and white cat is draped over the entrance sign on Rushey Green.
Holy Cross Roman Catholic Primary School
Rushey Green Primary School
Holbeach Primary School
Rathfern Primary School
Athelney Primary School
Forest Hill School
Trinity Church of England School
St Dunstan’s College
Rail: Catford has four railway stations: Catford Bridge, which has trains to London Bridge taking between 10 and 15 minutes and to Cannon Street taking about 25 minutes; Catford and Bellingham stations have services to St Pancras, which normally taking about 30 - 34 minutes respectively, and trains from Hither Green go to London Bridge in between 10 and 15 minutes and to Charing Cross and Cannon Street in about 20 minutes.
All trains from Catford Bridge and Hither Green pass through Lewisham, where there is a connection with the Docklands Light Railway. All trains from Catford and Bellingham connect with the Underground at Elephant & Castle, Blackfriars and Farringdon. All stations are in Zone 3 and an annual travelcard costs £1,472.
75: to Croydon, 122: to Crystal Palace, 171: to Holborn, 181: to Lewisham, 185: to Victoria, and 202: to Blackheath. The N171 night bus runs to and from Tottenham Court Road